Re: RMAN Restore

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 23 Nov 2006 03:47:02 -0800

On Nov 23, 11:27 am, Björn Wächter <bwc_at_p3-solutionsKILL_SPAM.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I configured my 10.2.0.1 database on linux with Enterprise manager
> to do a full backup every week and incremental backups every day.
> The problem I face now is. How can I restore from the backup files
> in case of a total lose of the server (for example hard disk crash).
> Can anyone tell me where I can find a description how to restore in
> such a case or tell me the basic steps in such a scenario.
>
> The options I used for the full are:
>
> -Customized Backup > Whole Database
> -Compressed Backup Set
> -Backup Type = Full Backup,
> -Use as the base of an incremental backup strategy = yes,
> -Backup Mode = Online Backup,
> -Also back up all archived logs on disk = yes,
> -Delete all archived logs from disk after they
> are successfully backed up = yes,
> -Delete obsolete backups = yes.
>
> for the incremental:
>
> -Incremental Backup (Level 1) = yes
> -Refresh the latest datafile copy on disk to the current time
> using the incremental backup = no
>
> Thanks Björn

Documentation for RMAN is online at http://tahiti.oracle.com It describes many scenarios.
But basically it boils down to
run
{
set until sequence=<number of last redolog file to be recovered>; restore database;
recover database;
}

Rman knows which files are required and where they are.

Many variants of this scenario are possible, too many to describe them in an Usenet post.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA