Re: Securing a Shrink Wrapped application using Oracle XE

From: Jim Smith <usenet_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:45:20 +0000

In message <Duc9h.158$Ll4.4_at_newsfe04.lga>, MRCarver <mrcnewGroup_at_charter.net> writes
>Oracle GURUS,
>
>BACKGROUND:
>I am searching for a database engine that I can deploy to an end users
>domain that the end user is unable to snoop into. This engine of
>course will be coupled with an accompanying application, which can be
>secured with a password, preventing even the machine administrator from
>snooping into.
>
>QUESTION:
>Can Oracle XE be configured to prevent a knowledgeable system
>administrator from breaking into the database and extracting the data
>and/or meta data.

The short answer is no.

The slightly longer answer is only if you can also lock down the operating system. It would always be possible for a system administrator to add himself to the relevant OS groups to get access to the database (or on linux for root to su to oracle)

Oracle does provide mechanisms for locking down the database, but only as options to the Enterprise Edition.

I would be surprised if you could find any DBMS to do what you want.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>