Re: Creating schema in oracle10g express edition

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 04:29:42 GMT

> Dops:
> just consider a schema as a user with the objects he owns... So a schema is
> just a user who is owner of some objects.

The Oracle docs are a wonderful thing....

http://download-east.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14220/intro.htm#sthref69

As stated, "A schema is a collection of database objects. A schema is owned by a database user and has the same name as that user."

However, a user by itself is not a schema. Using the definition above, the schema is the collection of object. A schema is not a user. The schema is owned by some user. So saying that a schema is a user with the object he owns is not entirely accurate. What if the user owns no objects? Is that a schema? Not according to Oracle's definition.

Cheers,
Brian

(what's in a user?)

Brian Peasland