Re: Concurrent/Parallel Execution

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 16:55:17 +0100

On 22.11.2006 16:23, ihb wrote:
> Question is about Concurrent/Parallel Execution -
>
> Say data is everywhere....there are n databases (on n servers)
> In app I need to query each DB and COMBINE the results.
>
> First, is it even possible to do this (i.e. parallellism) ???

IMHO that's not a question about parallelism in the first place but about federation. Typically you would want the data to be queried concurrently but the major issue here is the combining part (cross database joins).

> Is Oracle's "Parallel Query" http://orafaq.com/faqopq.htm
> a way to achieve such concurrency.

That should be pretty obvious from that page.

> If not, then what does it take ?

Heck, you did not even mention whether these databases are from the same vendor or what. You might be able to do something like this with linked tables or however that concept is called in the world of your DB vendor.

Plus, you did not state your business requirements instead you come up with a solution and want us to tell you whether that works. Nobody can decide that without that little bit of information that you leaked.

Good luck!

        robert Received on Wed Nov 22 2006 - 09:55:17 CST