Re: Help with understanding why shutdown "hangs" ...

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 22 Nov 2006 06:39:28 -0800

Martin T. wrote:

> It seems that I was too rash in stating it hangs, it shut down approx.
> 10 minutes after I posted here. (Which still leaves 1 hour of mystery
> :-)
>
> It was most likely a job that hung, aq_tm_processes=0 is set anyway.
> The job in question starts some java that starts some multithreaded
> work that is run every few seconds. (It's not much to do, basically one
> table row is updated.)
>
> What was strange, is that the trace file of j000 that had a last
> modification date of 12:09 in my OP was the last file that was closed
> by oracle.exe (13:09 or so). But nothing new was written into it.
>
> So it apears that oracle started to log into the file and then waited
> for one hour (doing not much, or at least nothing worth logging) and
> then closed the logfile and exited.
>
> I'm still confused I'm afraid ...
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Oracle at least historically on windows used to have lots of problems with shutdowns.

I would hope that by now almost all of those types of bugs have now been addressed by oracle fixes. It didn't appear to me that you were patched anywere close the "final" 9208 patchset so that's possibly one item you might want to consider. Received on Wed Nov 22 2006 - 08:39:28 CST