Re: AIX ASM and raw disk...big hassle....need help

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 21 Nov 2006 12:57:14 -0800

oracle_man wrote:
> hpuxrac wrote:
> > oracle_man wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > I have 2 AIX 5.3 clustered systems, oracle 10.2 STANDARD Edition, and a
> > > few multipathed(SDDPCM) raw disks. I am unable to find any notes
> > > regarding my failure type. Below are the commands used to create my
> > > disk group, and the device files listing.
> > >
> > > I did the mknod myself for the device files, as they are supposed to be
> > > the same name on each node.
> > >
> > > Any insight is appreciate.
> > >
> > > SQL> /
> > > CREATE DISKGROUP DG_01 External REDUNDANCY DISK '/dev/ora_raw_1' SIZE
> > > 51200M
> > > *
> > > ERROR at line 1:
> > > ORA-15018: diskgroup cannot be created
> > > IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > > Additional information: -1
> > > Additional information: 655360
> > > IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > > Additional information: -1
> > > Additional information: 655360
> > > IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > > Additional information: -1
> > > Additional information: 655360
> > > IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > > Additional information: -1
> > > Additional information: 655360
> > > IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > > Additional information: -1
> > > Additional information: 655360
> > > IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > > Additional information: -1
> > > Additional information: 655360
> > > IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > > Additional information: -1
> > > Additional information: 655360
> > > IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > > Additional information: -1
> > > Additional information: 655360
> > > IBM AIX RISC System/6000 Error: 22: Invalid argument
> > > Additional information: -1
> > > Additional infor
> > >
> > > Here are the raw disk files used for the
> > > group:
> > >
> > > +ASM2:oracle_at_mango1:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/dbs $ ll /dev/ora_*
> > > crwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 41, 0 Nov 17 17:55 /dev/ora_raw_2
> > > crwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 41, 2 Nov 17 17:56 /dev/ora_raw_3
> > > crwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 41, 1 Nov 17 17:57 /dev/ora_raw_4
> > > crwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 41, 3 Nov 17 18:05 /dev/ora_raw_1
> > > +ASM2:oracle_at_mango1:/u01/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/dbs $
> >
> > Not running AIX at my shop but I guess the first question I would ask
> > you is did you go through all the steps ( whatever they are on AIX ) to
> > properly create a raw volume?
> >
> > On hpux that would be vgcreate and lvcreate then change permissions on
> > the raw partitions.
> >
> > Looks to me as if this is an item that you should probably work with
> > oracle support on.
>
> I have an SR open with support at sev2. They haven't touched it in 5
> days. As for vgcreate, et....My unix admins handled that aspect, and I
> [...]

I left out some stuff such as mknod etc because they are part of the process ( at least in hpux ) to do a vgcreate.

You can call into oracle support and ask to speak to the on duty manager that's responsible for your sr. Once they call back ( supposed to be in half an hour ) then you can try to get them to expedite it.

In the mean time I would look at all the steps that "should have been" done to setup the raw disk partitions.

Can you use dd command to look at the first 10 blocks? If so do they look like what you expect?

Oracle support has metalink notes on raw device setup and configuration for the various unix platforms and you might want to look at some of those notes. Received on Tue Nov 21 2006 - 14:57:14 CST