Re: Failed Install Question

From: <amerar_at_iwc.net>
Date: 21 Nov 2006 10:27:33 -0800

EdStevens wrote:
> amerar_at_iwc.net wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > We are trying to perform a silent install of ORacle 10g. The install
> > failed due to some depreciated parameters in the init.ora.
> >
> > So, we made the correction, removed the installed software & created
> > directories and re-ran the install. When we re-ran the script, we
> > received this error:
> >
> > Check complete: Passed
> > Performing check for CompatibilityChecks
> > Checking for Oracle Home incompatibilities ....
> > Check complete. The overall result of this check is: Failed <<<<
> >

> > Check complete: Failed <<<<
> > Problem: Oracle Database 10g Release 2 can only be installed in a new
> > Oracle Home
> > Recommendation: Choose a new Oracle Home for installing this product.

> > PrereqChecks complete
> >

> > Why is that? We removed everything that the install
> > created........does Oracle create entries someplace that I'm not aware
> > of???
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Why would deprecated init parms cause an installation to fail? Exactly
> what was the indication that the installation failed -- vs. a db
> startup msg that there are deprecated parms in int init file?
>
> How did you 'remove the installed software'?
> What OS? (Let me guess ..... Windows?)
>
> I have found that the OUI doesn't do a very thorough job of cleaning up
> an installation on a Windows system. There are several places left for
> you to clean up manually. I have found that if I want to wipe all
> functional traces of Oracle from a Windows box -- make it look as if
> Oracle had never been installed -- I have to do the following:
> (CAUTION: THIS PROCEDURE IS EXTREMELY DESTRUCTIVE. IT REMOVES
> ****ALL**** TRACES OF ORACLE FROM THE SERVER)
>
> - Stop all running oracle services
> - Run the OUI and deinstall everything
> - Manually delete the directory where you installed the software.
> There may still be a lock on one of the .dll files, requireing a reboot
> to release.
> - Delete the Oracle directory from c:\Program Files
> - Delete the Oracle registry key from HKLM\software,
> - Delete registry keys for Oracle services from
> HKLM\system\CurrentControlSet
> - Delete Oracle entries from the Start menu.

What happens is this:

The Oracle 10g software installs. Then the database upgrade portion starts to run. However, it fails because of some depreciated init.ora parameters, such as log_archive_start......

After correcting the init.ora, we remove the 10g software and re-run it. We want to do this because the entire process will be automated.

However, it then fails one of the pre-req tests on the ORACLE_HOME. That does not make sense since we removed all of the Oracle 10g software, including the new 10g ORACLE_HOME.

So, Oracle must modify some file which we do not know about at the start of the upgrade process. It must point to the 10g home or something which causes the OUI to fail......... Received on Tue Nov 21 2006 - 12:27:33 CST