Re: On AIX, blocksize an DataWarehouses

From: <mfullerton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 21 Nov 2006 09:06:36 -0800

Well, above all, know your system usage and test. There is no "perfect" block size. However, some things to keep in mind while choosing. #1, the impact of greater block sizes is the amount of LIO that occurs. If your data fits in 100 bigger blocks instead of 400 smaller blocks then reading the 100 blocks takes less latching resources and scanning lists, etc... However, the more data packed into a block may lead to block contention if there is a lot of DML going on. Several people wanting row locks will end up creating a bunch of ITL slots that will always have to be scanned and buffer busy waits can occur, etc....

Typically I go above 8k for more read intensive databases. If changes only occur in batches within defined windows and the rest of the time you will have lots of FTS and range scanning happening, I lean towards 32k.

As always, test and know how the app will be using the database.

Mike Fullerton