Re: Creating schema in oracle10g express edition

From: Jim Smith <usenet_at_ponder-stibbons.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:08:26 +0000

In message <1164060975.401135.253190_at_f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, dops <r.solofria_at_gmail.com> writes
>uhm.. yes all you tell me is true.. but i'm sorry, i continue to think
>that the separation of schemas to the users are more efficient..
>i want show you a simple situation: think you have a server with one
>oracle instance installed.. this is a web server.. if u have 20
>websites resindent in (for example) iis web server, and all sites
>require the connection of n tables, with one schema u must share the
>same credential with all 20 web site administrators.. than to create
>separate accounts with oracle u have to create 20 separate schemas..
>else if u have sql server with one database (or schema or container or
>u want tell..) you can create more accounts with more privileges to
>access specificed objects (for example specificed tables or views
>etc..).. same speech with db2..
>it's not a limitation of oracle respect to sql server or db2 concepts?
>i tell you again WHY i've to create a user account to create a
>container!!??

You seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how oracle works. I suggest you read the concepts guide.

In sqlserver, you would create a database and then give the each of your web administrators a logon and a user in that database.

In oracle you create a schema and then create a user for each of your web administrators permissions on the objects in that schema.

--
Jim Smith
Ponder Stibbons Limited <http://oracleandting.blogspot.com/>