10g recyclebin with 9i SQL*Plus clients

From: old dirtbeard <dirtbeard_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:56:53 -0800

Hello,

The server is 10g, but we still have some 9i SQL*Plus clients. If they fail to include a purge option on their drop table statements:

drop table bob purge;

They will accumulate dropped tables in their recyclebin, and the 9i version of SQL*Plus does not support the command:

purge recycyclebin;

SQL*Plus: Release 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on Mon Nov 20 09:54:29 2006

Copyright (c) 1982, 2002, Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0 - Production With the Partitioning, OLAP and Data Mining options

SQL> purge recyclebin;
SP2-0734: unknown command beginning "purge recy..." - rest of line ignored. SQL> When I am logged in as system using a 10g client, and try to purge the dba_recyclebin, I do not have sufficient priviledges:

SQL> purge dba_recyclebin;
purge dba_recyclebin
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01031: insufficient privileges

This poses several questions, I suppose:

(1) What permission needs to be added to system account to purge the
dba_recyclebin?
(2) Is there any work-around for the users with the 9i clients to purge
their own recyclebin?
(3) Is there a way to disable the recyclebin?

Thank you very much.

DS Received on Mon Nov 20 2006 - 11:56:53 CST