Re: Creating schema in oracle10g express edition

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 19 Nov 2006 16:10:46 -0800

dops wrote:
> i read the manual ;) but i want a confirm of what i read :)
> ok, well.. u confirm what i now tell u:
> oracle have the concept of one database, where i can create a user (and
> than a schema) as container of my database objects (tables, stored
> procedure etc..).
> a schema is simple like a "database" in sql server and a "library" in
> db2 but to create a schema i've to create a user (and i'm sorry but its
> a really strange concept form me :( ).
> it's all right?

I think you are pretty close.

When you create a user in oracle usually it it "not" a schema owner.

The user needs special privileges to be able to create it's own database objects.

When you login to an oracle database of course you use a database user and password ( normally ). That creates a connection to oracle.

Usually you don't login as the schema owner but you can select ( insert/update/delete ) against various tables in other schema's depending if your login has been granted permissions to accomplish those things.

You can select like this " select column1, column2 from schema_owner.table_or_view_name where etc ".

Or sometimes you set up synonyms in oracle so that the " schema_owner.table_or_view_name" is hidden and doesn't need to be specified. This varies by oracle shop and by the standards ( if any ) that have been established.

Have fun. Received on Sun Nov 19 2006 - 18:10:46 CST