Re: Creating schema in oracle10g express edition

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 19 Nov 2006 14:17:03 -0800

dops wrote:
> thanx for your reply.. my english is not very good, maybe this is the
> problem :)
> reading documentation i understand that oracle call the "database" as
> "schema" (it's right?)

In oracle usually you only have 1 database. You have multiple schema's inside a database.

HR could be in the same database as SCOTT for example. Each of them has their own tables etc ... all within the same database.

> well, if it's right, how i can create a new schema associated with
> exiting user?

If you want new tables associated with an existing user ( like HR ) you don't need to do anything ( if the user has the authority to create objects and use space ).

For example you can login to the database as HR and do this command ...

create table myjunktable ( col1 varchar2(10), col2 number );

 i don't see any menu item "create new schema" maybe this
> is a limitation of express version of oracle?

If you want a new schema such as HR1 you could do this ...

create user HR1 identified by somepassword default tablespace sometablespace temporary tablespace temp;

grant connect, resource to HR1;

> for example (if u know the express version), the express version of
> oracle have a default user named "HR", how i can create a new database
> (with tables and related objects) associated with this user?

You don't want to create more databases, you want 1 database that all the schema owners will share.

The concepts manual is recommended reading for you.

> But if i want create a database not associated with a specific user, i
> can?

You want 1 database that has multiple tablespaces ( some for data, maybe some for indexes, some for oracle specific requirements ( SYSTEM, SYSAUX, UNDO ), and some that are shared ( TEMP )).

In oracle a database has mutiple tablespaces. Each schema might have it's own tablespaces or might share tablespaces with other schema'.s

> Thanx again ;)

Cheers Received on Sun Nov 19 2006 - 16:17:03 CST