Re: Creating schema in oracle10g express edition

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 19 Nov 2006 12:55:40 -0800

dops wrote:
> hi all,
> i'm new to oracle (and excuse my english), i've downloaded the free
> version of oracle 10g (express edition), i don't understand logical
> process to creating a database.. i undertsand that the "schema" element
> is "the database" of sql server, but why i've to create a new user for
> a new database?

You don't necessarily have to create new users, it's optional.

Normally in oracle you create a "few" schema owners that are associated with tables, procedures, views etc.

Other oracle users are granted access against the tables that are owned by the schema owners. Do this through roles to have a maintainable system.

> i can't have in oracle an user owner more databases?

What? Sorry I don't understand what you are trying to ask here.

Users don't own databases. A database can have multiple owners within it that have tables etc.

> Another question: what is the differcence from oracle enterprice
> version and express version? only the max limitation of free space to
> create databases objects?

Lots of other options. There's an oracle licensing paper that discusses this subject in detail. Or you can search this newsgroup there's been lots of prior discussions in this area.

> thanx for your reply..

Have fun. You might want to start learning more about oracle by going through the concepts manual, that would probably clear up a lot of your questions.

You can find the oracle documentation at http://tahiti.oracle.com Received on Sun Nov 19 2006 - 14:55:40 CST