Re: Can't start Oracle 10g on FC4

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 00:44:23 +0100

hpuxrac schrieb:

> Michael Kämpf wrote:

>> Hallo NG,
>>
>> i'm a linux newbie. I tried to start the Oracle Database 10g Express
>> Edition (server) on Linux Fedora Core 4 as descriped by typing:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/oracle-xe start
>>
>> But i get the Error message:
>>
>> Starting Oracle Net Listener.
>> Starting Oracle Database 10g Express Edition Instance.
>> Failed to start Oracle Net Listener using
>> /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/
>> 10.2.0/server/bin/tnslsnr and Oracle Express Database using
>> /usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/bin/sqlplus.
>>

>> Did anybody know what this means or what happened?
>>
>> Thanks for your answers,
>> Michael.
>
> Do the install instructions ( readme file ) for 10g Express say it will
> run on FC4?  I don't think so.
>
> I would think you will do better running on one of the red hat clones
> instead.  But why don't you read the install instructions and go with
> what it says there?

Fedora Core 4 is one of supposed (the term supported is probably not suitable here, as there is no support for Oracle XE except OTN Forum) plattforms for Oracle XE ( aka Oracle 10g Express Edition). http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/cd/B25329_01/doc/install.102/b25144/toc.htm#BABDHJHB I've installed it on FC4 numerous times without any problems.

To OP:
When you start /etc/init.d/oracle-xe, under which os user do you perform it?
Did you have previous oracle installation (server or client) in any edition on this machine?
Do you have enough free space on the filesystem? Is the ports 1521 free on this system?
What is in the listener logs
(/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/network/log/listener.log )?
Did you consider to post your question on OTN Oracle XE Forum ?(http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=251) - requires a registration, which is doubtless worth it.

Best regards

Maxim Received on Sat Nov 18 2006 - 17:44:23 CST