Re: Recompile any PL/SQL object: worry about app, server jdbc cache ??

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2006 07:03:02 -0600

On 17 Nov 2006, spendius_at_muchomail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I was about to recompile a trigger in one of our 9.2 database,
> and our app server admin told me not to do it because I
> would've then invalidated what his WebSphere jdbc cache
> contains... The version of the driver is the same as that of
> the db involved.
>
> Is he right ? Should he really stop his application server
> before I can safely recompile a trigger ?

I would guess he is worried about what happens when one recompiles a package. An already established connection that has previously accessed a package and then, another connection recompiles that previously accessed package. The connection that did not recompile the package gets an error of the flavor, "the existing state of package has been invalidated ..." It does not invalidate that connection, because the subsequent calls do not get this due Oracle recompiling the "cache" for the user. but to a user of an application using a connection pool that does not handle this, it looks like a broken app.

But, why can't this be tested by one or both of you? He seems pretty confident in what he says. How come he can't prove it to you in some test environment? How come you have to come to a newsgroup to get a question answered that you should be able to answer yourself?

--
Galen Boyer