Re: VT-2018 error - what is so important about this intelligent agent?

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 17 Nov 2006 03:24:15 -0800

On Nov 17, 10:53 am, "erbilkonuk" <erbilko..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to take a backup of the database but the OMS prompts me
> VT-2018 error. The reason of unwillingness of the OMS to take the
> backup is that it wont start without discovering the nodes
> automatically with the wizard. To discover the nodes automatically, an
> intelligent agent should be run on the node.
>
> I have a problem with the starting of the intelligent agent.
>
> I tried to start the agent with
> C:\agentctl start
> it returned me that the service can not be started.
> I tried to run the batch file dbsnmpwd.bat - (that was a recommendation
> from another forum history.)
> nothing as a message appeared. The service again not started.
>
> I tried to start the service from the service tool on Windows 2K. It
> appears that the agent service is not dependent to any other service.
>
> Well, taking a backup is impossible, I guess, without an intelligent
> agent running on the node.
>
> Is there a way to take a backup without an intelligent agent running?
> What may be the problem that I can not start the intelligent agent? Do
> I need a re-installation or is there a way to get it run?
>
> Thanks for your future advice :)
>
> B. Erbil KONUK

Is there a way to take a backup without Intelligent Agent? Yes of course, just fire up a DOS session on the server and issue
rman nocatalog

rman> connect target /
rman> backup database plus archivelog format '<whatever filename you
want>'

assuming you are using 9i.

To troubleshoot the Agent failure
- Read the documentation
- Search Google
Look in %ORACLE_HOME%/network/log/nmiconf.log for error messages
To restart the agent
delete all files in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\agent except ANYTHING starting with svpp
make sure the first line in %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin\snmp_ro.ora reads
snmp.visible_services=() or snmp.visible_services=(none) and restart the service
Dbnsmpwd.bat is only part of Agent.
And yes: you do need the Agent to run jobs in OEM. It is one of it's main functions.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA