Re: calling java jar file from within a trigger

From: Jim Kennedy <jim>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 23:09:02 -0800

"schw" <schwartz_at_alpha.net.pl> wrote in message news:1163746744.780089.77540_at_e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com...

> Steve Howard napisal(a):
> > schw wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > what is the easiest and most efficient way of calling a procedure from
> > > a jar or java file within a trigger in Oracle ?
> > >
> > > thanks
> > > schw
> >
> > Where is the jar or class? Inside the database?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Steve
>
> it's not inside the database. it's an external program..can you please
> give me some hints on how to call one a program that is installed and
> not in Oracle. Also how does it affect performance?
>
> thanks Steve
> regards,
> schw

You can stuff data in a pipe and have the external program read it and do its thing. You can also call external programs. There are examples in the client install. (and on otn.oracle.com) It will take time to context switch. You could load the jar file into Oracle and run it inside the database.(easier, less context switching) Jim Received on Fri Nov 17 2006 - 01:09:02 CST