Re: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 16 Nov 2006 11:22:39 -0800

BS wrote:
> I did reestablished the environment after autoconfig. Another thing I
> noticed that I can connect if I use connect dbuser_at_db and I can't if
> just do connect dbuser.
>
> Any thoughts.
>
> Thanks

OK, when you are using the bequeath protocol on unix, at least on some versions (I'm not sure which or if it is true anymore, I'm positive the mechanism has changed across versions), there is a key generated by hashing the ORACLE_SID and ORACLE_HOME to decide which shared memory segment to attach to. This can be a problem if you use links instead of actual exact path names, as a link that points to $ORACLE_HOME/bin won't be the same hash as the actual $ORACLE_HOME/bin. So what you need to do is check your startup procedure to see which home it is using, and be sure it is the same one you and the listener are using.

Also if you can temporarily add dbuser to the dba group, if that works that would point to a file protection issue.

What is the ownership and protection of $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle?

Please provide your exact version of Oracle and OS.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"In a turnabout, Iraq has caused a regime change in the United States."