BLOB Storage Issue

From: jimmy.brock <jimmybrock_at_gmail.com>
Date: 16 Nov 2006 11:08:14 -0800

We have a customer requirement to take a number data type field and covert it to a binary data type of 4-bytes, and reverse the order of the binary data. Then we are to write out the value to a file using the UTL_FILE package.

This requirement is due to the fact that the customer is using an old legacy application to read the file and it can only read numbers that are in binary format and it reads numbers from right to left. Their application is excepting the data to always be 4-bytes regardless of the value.

The number can by up to 10-digtits, so the max value would be 9,999,999,999.
I tried using the RAW data type but it writes out HEX data, not what the customer wants.
I tried using BLOB but the max value for 4-bytes is 128,100,000. Also, there is no way to resize a BLOB. The customer wants 4-bytes binary data, regardless if the value is 0 of 9 Billion.

Any suggestions would be great! Received on Thu Nov 16 2006 - 13:08:14 CST