Re: UTL_FILE and locking

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 16 Nov 2006 10:21:09 -0800

schw wrote:
> thanks...indeed i wanted to log stuff in a table then dump it to a
> file...but our requirement is not to use any table...I'll have a look
> into DBMS_LOCK and see what it can do for me..
>

> hpuxrac napisal(a):
> > schw wrote:
> > > Hi All
> > >
> > > Does UTL_FILE package support locking feature? Basically I want to log
> > > something in a file from within a trigger using the package...I'm just
> > > wondering whether there won't be any mess in case of many triggers
> > > writing to the file...what do you think?
> > >
> > > regards
> > > schw
> >
> > You use DBMS_LOCK to implement custom locking. UTL_FILE won't know
> > anything about locks.
> >
> > You could use DBMS_LOCK to allow a routine to modify a file "one at a
> > time" using UTL_FILE. But a better approach might be to insert the log
> > entries into a table inside the database then periodically write out
> > the entries ( if needed ) via UTL_FILE.

Please dont' top post.

Sometimes one needs to start questioning the requirements. Perhaps the person making that requirement doesn't really understand the problem, the potential solutions, or the impact of what is really an arbitrary requirement. Sometimes one has to say 'what is the *business* (not technical) problem we're trying to solve? With no preconceptions, what is the best way of solving that business problem?" Received on Thu Nov 16 2006 - 12:21:09 CST