Re: Using backup files with new DB

From: Frank van Bortel <frank.van.bortel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 07:48:26 +0100

Wolf Grossi schreef:
> [snip]

>> Wolf, when you say you have all files, do you have some called init*,
>> spfile*, orapw*, system*, undo* and control* files?  What exact version
>> of Oracle are these files?  What platform are you on?  Do you have
>> archived logs?  Can you give more background of your situation?  Do you
>> know where the files were last used, are they proper backup copies or
>> from a cleanly shutdown system?  Do you have Oracle support?  Have you
>> worked with Oracle before?
>>

> The OS is Linux, kernel 2.4.33, with Oracle9i, Rel-9.2.01.
> The device (/dev/hda), with oracle SW, root etc., crashed.
> The oracle datafiles were placed on other devices.
>
> The following files were rescued:
>
> control0[1-3].ctl
> drsys01.dbf
> example01.dbf
> indx01.dbf
> system01.dbf
> temp01.dbf
> tools01.dbf
> undotbs01.dbf
> users01.dbf
>
> The datafile users01.dbf contains the data i'd like to recover.
>
> Unfortunately, all oracle config and setup files line were placed on the
> crashed device, so thy are not available anymore.
> The datafile users01.dbf was placed in one of /disk[1-3]/oradata/SID.
> The othere I just can guess.
>
> No archived logs were saved and no oracle support.
> Using oracle's OCI C-Interface since ora6.
>
> Wolf

Not quite the same as having all files...

Nevertheless - you basic idea wasn't so bad, but for the point where you thought you needed to create a new database. Don't!

Of course, you have a backup - fire up RMAN and restore that.

If not - install and patch the oracle software to the point and comma of the version you ran with - I assume you still have the installation media somewhere.

Before you do *anything*, backup all you have left. And burn that on a DVD. Make a copy of that DVD. Take the copy elsewhere.

Do you still have the alert log file, of -better yet- the init.ora or spfile somewhere? If not - create a default one. Make sure the important stuff (like database name!) is the same as you used before.

Set you environment variables (ORACLE_HOME, ORACLE_SID) and try to open the db.
Taking you through all possible scenarios would take half the www, so I'll leave you with the suggestion to call in someone with experience on site; if there's anything to rescue, it should take a matter of minutes.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel

Top-posting is one way to shut me up...