Re: UTL_FILE and locking

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 15 Nov 2006 07:45:26 -0800

schw wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Does UTL_FILE package support locking feature? Basically I want to log
> something in a file from within a trigger using the package...I'm just
> wondering whether there won't be any mess in case of many triggers
> writing to the file...what do you think?
>
> regards
> schw

You use DBMS_LOCK to implement custom locking. UTL_FILE won't know anything about locks.

You could use DBMS_LOCK to allow a routine to modify a file "one at a time" using UTL_FILE. But a better approach might be to insert the log entries into a table inside the database then periodically write out the entries ( if needed ) via UTL_FILE. Received on Wed Nov 15 2006 - 09:45:26 CST