GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS always gathers histograms..!

From: <mccmx_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Nov 2006 04:30:58 -0800

10.2.0.2 SE on W2K3.

When I run:

dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats('SYSADM',cascade=>TRUE,options=>'GATHER AUTO', method_opt=>'FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1', estimate_percent=>DBMS_STATS.AUTO_SAMPLE_SIZE,degree=>2);

histograms are generated for many columns in the SYSADM schema, see below:

SQL> select count(*) from user_tab_columns;

  COUNT(*)

    483995

Elapsed: 00:00:17.07
SQL> select count(*) from user_tab_columns where histogram <> 'NONE';

  COUNT(*)

     52823

My understanding is that FOR ALL COLUMNS SIZE 1 should explicitly cause Oracle to not gather any histograms.....

Chapter 2 in J Lewis's recent book seems to confirm this too....

Can anyone confirm whether they are seeing the same behaviour. I've got a feeling this is a bug.

Cheers

Matt Received on Wed Nov 15 2006 - 06:30:58 CST