datapump, expdp, is very slow

From: Snonck <snonck_at_snog.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:39:43 +1000

Are many people using datapump (expdp) on solaris 10, oracle 10.2.0.2 or on other platforms?

I find that it is really slow! It sits there for ages doing nothing, well nothing obvious. I was doing some tracing and found that it was doing the following for every single user in the database!

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ALL_USERS WHERE USERNAME = :B1 I guess it must have a good reason for doing it?

It also does lots of other SQL like the above statement. Once it starts doing the table dumps it is quite good, especially the parallelism, but at the beginning and end when it does the meta data it takes ages (I realise that it does the meta data sequentially but still it takes ages)! Especially when you have over a hundred thousand users in the database.

I'm going to do some comprehensive tests later on, so might post some timings then. Received on Wed Nov 15 2006 - 02:39:43 CST