Re: Compuware ServerVantage?

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 14 Nov 2006 14:16:35 -0800

Brian Peasland wrote:
> EdStevens wrote:
> > Anyone have any experience with Compuware ServerVantage, as regards
> > monitoring Oracle databases, they'd care to share? Or simply links to
> > other reading?
> >
> > My boss just dropped on me an extract of the installation/setup
> > procedure and asked what was needed for account setup on the OS and the
> > database. This is the first I've even heard of this, but it smells
> > like its purchase and implementation might already be a fait accompli.
> > Looks like someone, somewhere else, is trying to solve a percived
> > 'database problem' without doing any internal research or consultation
> > with the DBA's. (This company has a deep history of low and mid-level
> > managers hatching up 'solutions' in a vacuum.)
> >
> > I'm looking at the Compuware web site, but of course want to gather any
> > other potentially useful info. I'm not trying to mount a knee-jerk
> > opposition, just trying to get educated as quickly as possible so I can
> > decide if counter recommendations are warranted.
> >

> Any reason why your company cannot use Enterprise Manager to monitor the
> databases? What 'database problem' is this software attempting to solve?
>

> Cheers,
> Brian
>

> --
>
> Brian Peasland
> dba_at_nospam.peasland.net
> http://www.peasland.net
>
> Remove the "nospam." from the email address to email me.
>

> "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good.
> Now pick two out of the three" - Unknown

Exactly what I asked. I think the answer is bigger than just Oracle. Seems they've been using several different products to do systems monitoring at the data center, and they are looking to replace them all with a single tool ... something designed for use by a night-shift operator. Received on Tue Nov 14 2006 - 16:16:35 CST