Re: Startup problem

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: 14 Nov 2006 07:47:29 -0800

QDL wrote:
> [CUT]
> > Alternatively, if you change service_name= in sid=<your sid> in
> > tnsnames.ora, which error do you get?
> [CUT]
>
> Get the same error, thanx.
>

> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBA

It is possible the listener service is starting *after* the database service starts due, in part, to the service naming; you may want to set both services to Manual and write a .bat file to start them in the proper sequence using the 'net start' command syntax:

net start <listener service name here>
net start <database service name here>

As an example the startdb.bat file would be (presuming your Oracle home is named OracleXE_home):

net start OracleXE_homeTNSListener
net start OracleServiceXE

Doing this will start the listener first, then start the database, which will allow the db to register with the listener. As it appears your system is probably starting the OracleServiceXE first, then starting the OracleXE_homeTNSListener, causing the database to not register automatically, and this is why you can stop and restart the database service and all works as expected.

You might also be able to put these commands into your autoexec.bat file (usually found in the root directory of the C drive) so everything will start automatically. (I'm presuming that is an option even with the more recent releases of Windows.)

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Nov 14 2006 - 09:47:29 CST