getting RMAN to mark and delete obsolete

From: Glen <stromqueat_at_teldotnet.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2006 15:45:53 GMT

DB is 9.2.0.7

I am having a couple of RMAN issues on one database, the most pressing being it is not marking or deleting old backups.

I've set up 2 RMAN jobs in OEM, a weekly job to run on sunday night to do an incremental level 0 backup, and a job to run every other day of the week to do an incremental level 1. Archive logs are deleted after they have been backed up twice and older than 7 days. Retention policy was set to a recovery window of 3 days.

Today I noticed a couple of things, the first being the jobs are not showing up in the history tab in OEM, checking the server itself I see that they have been running as backups are in the backup directory specified, they are just not being recorded in OEM.

The second thing I noticed is that old backups are not being deleted. So   I logged into RMAN on the server itself, run a crosscheck database command, do a list of backups, and it shows backups back to the date Nov 5th (today is the 14th) There are RMAN backups in the directory going back to Oct 22. When I run a "delete obsolete" or "delete obsolete recovery window of 7 days;" it returns a message that there are no obsolete backups. I've changed the retention setting to 2 or 3 days, and still getting the same message when trying to delete the old backups.

I suppose I could just use the OS to delete the old backups, but I want to find out why RMAN is not doing what(I think) is it being told to do.

I must be missing something here, but what?

tia Received on Tue Nov 14 2006 - 09:45:53 CST