Re: Startup problem

From: sybrandb <sybrandb_at_gmail.com>
Date: 14 Nov 2006 07:44:36 -0800

On Nov 14, 3:21 pm, "QDL" <q..._at_qdl.qdl> wrote:
> > Does the database actually open?I'm a *real* beginner with Oracle... How can I check this? :)
>
> > Did you examine the alert log?No... You mean the Windows log or Oracle's
>
> > There have been many cases in the past the service does start, but the
> > database didn't open, usually because there was a mismatch between the
> > SYS password and the password of the password file.I used the standard installer and I keyed in the password for SYS and SYSTEM
> there, so I guess this is not the problem. Also if I stop and restart the DB
> it works.
>
> > The database registers itself when it opens.
> > Alternatively, if you change service_name= in sid=<your sid> in
> > tnsnames.ora, which error do you get?How can I retrieve the SID... I told you I'm a real beginner...
>
> I think this problem is about some other service starting very slow
> (Network?) and Oracle not being able to start propertly. As I told before,
> after booting if I stop and restart Oracle DB, it start working ok...
>
> I forgot to mention I have also Oracle Application Server installed on the
> same machine...
>
> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker
> > Senior Oracle DBAThanx again
> Paolo

1 I meant the alert log of Oracle, probably something like alert_xe.log If this is a default install, it should be in the directory %ORACLE_HOME%\database.
There should be a file called oradim.log in the same directory. This tracks down service problems.
2 Oracle is implemented as a service. You have a service called OracleService<SID> on your system. SID can be anything, but for Oracle Express it is always XE.
3 If you fire up a DOS box, and issuse
set ORACLE_SID=XE
sqlplus /nolog
connect / as sysdba
what happens (right after rebooting, that is)?

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA