Re: detecting chained rows and other stats stuff

From: Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net>
Date: 14 Nov 2006 05:44:52 -0800

Brian Peasland wrote:
> > So I have to run that along with dbms_stats. Does it take as long as
> > doing an analzye compute?
> > I understand that dbms_stats only generates stats that the CBO uses,
> > but it's just aggravating to have to do all the extra work to find
> > answers that used to be generated when statistics were gathered.
> > I guess I'm just bitching about it in general.. oh well.
> >

> Unfortunately, DBMS_STATS does not list chained or migrated rows. The
> old ANALYZE command is still around for that. And it will take some time
> to perform this operation if your table has many, many rows of data.
>

> Cheers,
> Brian
>
> --
>
> Brian Peasland
> dba_at_nospam.peasland.net
> http://www.peasland.net
>
> Remove the "nospam." from the email address to email me.
>

> "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good.
> Now pick two out of the three" - Unknown

I forgot to mention, does anyone know why dbms_stats reports an incorrect avg_row_len and if that can be harmful in any way? I can accept that it doesn't do anything with the stats that CBO doesn't use, but why does report something in-accurate, whether it is used by CBO or not. Received on Tue Nov 14 2006 - 07:44:52 CST