Re: ASM and 4-way replication?

From: MarcelD <MARCEL.D_at_GMX.CH>
Date: 13 Nov 2006 01:08:55 -0800

Andreas Piesk schrieb:

> tnsnames-entry:
>
> APP.TEST =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (HOST = dg1)
> (PORT = 1521)
> )
> (ADDRESS =
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (HOST = dg2)
> (PORT = 1521)
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SERVER = DEDICATED)
> (SERVICE_NAME = APP.test)
> )
>

> seems to work but maybe i missed something.
>
> regards,
> -ap

This solution would generally work, but it introduces additional wait times during connection,
because every connection will first try to contact dg1, and only after a timeout will dg2 be used. This takes quite a long time in the case dg1 does not respond at all. Unfortunately the applications I have to support do frequent connects.
I know there would be other ways of solving this:

- changing the service in the directory using LDAP
- using ONAMES and changing the service there
- changing DNS-Entries and flushing all caches on the clients...
But I think all this solutions try to solve a problem that is the main problem domain of a failover cluster. That's why I would like to stay with the cluster.

Regards,
Marcel Received on Mon Nov 13 2006 - 03:08:55 CST