Re: The need to 'get around' the 4000 character limit in varchar2

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 12 Nov 2006 16:03:08 -0800

Thomas Kellerer wrote:
> "cannot use BLOB" is relative. Usually this means "cannot without a development
> effort that won't be paid" which is understandable
>
> I have implemented solutions with multiple varchar columns myself (that was back
> with Oracle 7.x on Novell and we had to support rdb and Ingres as well), and I
> don't believe that the development effort for implementing that is less than
> switching to CLOB columns. While you might get away with a view and a public
> synonym if the application only reads the columns, I don't think that it will be
> that easy when it comes to updating the columns. But I haven't looked into
> updateable views in Oracle for a long time, so I could be wrong here

This is what the OP posted in response to a suggestion from someone else ...

The information I have from the developers indicates that CLOB will require a significant code modification in order to select the data. This may not be the case. So I was investigating other options and ran into the arguably hokey option of using views

So I think the OP is aware of the implications and is already looking at how much actual code modification needs to be done.