Re: Survey...Please help and respond!!

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 11 Nov 2006 13:17:13 -0800

Serge Rielau wrote:

> > Why are you attempting to hijack this thead?
> Maybe Daniel was hoping no IBMer would read this thread (and he was
> right until now).
> There has been a long history of marginalizing zOS and DB2 for zOS.
> After all the "dinosaur" has been said to be dead for a decade now.
> Just like Daniel claimed five years ago that IDS would not exist anymore
> within five years from then. So his visions are well known.
> Oracle likes to point to RDBMS business only and more specific to
> "modern" RDBMS (modern <> DB2 for zOS in their thinking).

It's not unexpected that oracle marketing people operate like that after all their paychecks depend on it.

Many of us now specializing in oracle have a wide and varied amount of experience with other products and platforms. Some of us obviously do not.

It just gets bothersome when you see the same people time after time promoting without any self control the latest koolaid from oracle. All vendors serve koolaid but it's up to individual professionals to exercise restraint.

> IBM claims that DB2 is not an RDBMS anymore. With pureXML it ahs become
> a "hybrid data server". So I agree that takes it out of where Oracle
> sees itself. In fact it opens up a completely new category.
> Perhaps Daniel also believes that high end data warehousing (like
> managing 160TB in a single database - no LOBs involved) is marginal.
> Fine by me, pays for a mortgage in Toronto.

The predictions get old and tiresome after a while. Not long ago he was telling people to run production RAC clusters on apple os x based systems and he was saying that he had a lot of his consulting customers implementing more of those systems. That was before oracle failed to deliver the latest release 10.2 on os x and in fact it looks like that release will never be delivered.

> Oracle, SAP are already helping DB2. And it's working beautifully.
> Thanks!
> IBM's small part it in was to get out of apps when Oracle decided to get
> into apps.
>
> Cheers
> Serge

Thanks for a little wider perspective. Received on Sat Nov 11 2006 - 15:17:13 CST