Re: The need to 'get around' the 4000 character limit in varchar2

From: Galen Boyer <galen_boyer_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11 Nov 2006 10:03:02 -0600

On 10 Nov 2006, robert.drea_at_gmail.com wrote:

>>  Can you not use the CLOB datatype? This is the datatype to use when
>>  you need
>> more than 4000 characters.

> The information I have from the developers indicates that CLOB will
> require a significant code modification in order to select the data.

Yes, I think that would be the case.

> This may not be the case. So I was investigating other options and ran
> into the arguably hokey option of using views.

I would second a suggestion made before. Research what it would take to get the SQLServer characters to 4000 so then you could migrate directly.

My choice in migrating databases is to try and migrate a few times and find where in the source one can make changes so the initial migration goes smoother. My goal would be to try to get the app to behave on Oracle exactly as it behaves on SQLServer using the migration tool. As you see the differences, and some will probably be irreconcilable (and some will involve overhauling assumptions you make at critical architectural sections of code such as transactional handling), then allow for the new codebase on Oracle. At some point, once you've "practiced" this migration and you've allowed for architectural differences with specific code differences on either platform to the point, the migration can really be a quick move. Then, the business can choose when to actually migrate. You can also choose pieces of the app to move, etc. But, really, try to get the migration to a point that it is a scripted process.

Sometimes, you have no choice but to completely rewrite the app on Oracle, but, I hope this is not your outcome.

I guess my point could be summed up by saying, "continue to migrate and use the resulting app as research on what/where you need to change things so you can migrate again to continue the research".

--
Galen Boyer