Gathering Statistics / preventing timeouts

From: Martin T. <bilbothebagginsbab5_at_freenet.de>
Date: 10 Nov 2006 01:31:33 -0800

Hello.

Our (small) DBs (O 9i2) are running without regular statistics gathering at the moment and since some tests have shown that we can get a performance increase if we keep them up to date we are planning to run a weekly job that does some gathering.

One thing I have seen while testing is that I sometimes get a timeout error from the gathering procedure. (On a busy table.) Is there any way to prevent this? We don't really care if the statistic gathering takes 5 minutes (should be realistic for us) or if it takes 30 minutes because the gathering has to wait a bit.

I'm planning to run a job like this once a week: begin

Any comments appreciated. Bash away :-)

cheers,
Martin Received on Fri Nov 10 2006 - 03:31:33 CST