Re: Sounds good in theory, but will it work?

From: Andy France <andyATzespriDOTcom>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 13:38:28 +1300

bdbafh wrote:
> TB wrote:

>> We have Oracle 8.1.7 running on an IBM p615 single processor server.

> Oracle DataGuard does not exist in 8i R3.

<major snippage>

Actually, Oracle Dataguard 3.0.2 for 8i on AIX is (or at least was!) available, it just wasn't delivered as part of the Oracle RDBMS. We ran it for a number of years on our SAP 4.0B system before upgrading to SAP 4.7E with Oracle 9iR2.

It works quite differently than the 9i/10g versions, being an external set of processes for the log copy and apply rather than using an additional ARCH process. However, this actually made it more useful over slow links because you could "fall behind" on the archive copies without affecting the re-use of the online logs.

I doubt it's still available on the Oracle site, but at less than 6MB including documentation I could possibly give up a copy if asked! Or is that just asking for trouble? ;)

Andy.

PS - if you are looking at purchasing a p520 I would seriously consider making that the production server and moving the p615 into the DR role! Received on Thu Nov 09 2006 - 18:38:28 CST