Re: oracle 8i backup to 9i environment

From: BD <robert.drea_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 15:53:48 -0800

strepxe_at_yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> hi,
>
> i've been doing some research and want confirmation before i go ahead
> with what i have to do.
>
> i have an oracle 8i backup which needs to be run on oracle 9i. from
> what i've read the only solution appears to be to restore the backup to
> an 8i environmnet and then upgrade to 9i. there is no way of restoring
> an 8i backup to a 9i environmnent whatsoever.
>
> am i correct?

No, it is actually pretty straightforward to move a database from 8 to 9.

My suggestion:

-Create the target database under 9 - make sure the character set is the same as is being used in the 8 db
-Attempt to recreate the pfile for the 9 db with the same resourcing and tuning parameters as are being used under 8. Some params may have been deprecated between 8 and 9, so you may want to pull the pfile apart and take the time to research each parameter that is set to a non-default value.
-Create the same tablespaces in the 9 db as existed under 8, with the same defaults and sizes.
-use 'exp' to export all non-system schemas from the 8 db to a dump file
-move the dump file to the target server -use 'imp' to import the dump file to the target database using the fromuser= and touser= parameters.

I have moved 8i and 9i databases (on AIX) to 10g on Windows without incident with this approach. The only thing that bit me was the character set default. And that was because the 8 db was using Western European ISO, which is not the default value for new 10 dbs.

Oh - and ****take the target database OUT of archivelog mode before the import****. Otherwise, the amount of redo that is generated via the import will almost certainly cause performance problems, and may result in a crashed import.

HTH... Received on Thu Nov 09 2006 - 17:53:48 CST