Re: upgrade 9.2 to 10.2

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 15:37:10 -0800

Sylvestre wrote:
> Hello
>
> Our SAP instances must be upgraded from 9.2 to
> 10.2, but
> a lot of tablespace are always in dictionary
> managed, and it is
> asked to me to proove that locally is better, I
> need a test case
> to do it, does someone have idea about such a demo
> ?
>
> Thank yu

http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/62 is a good explanation of the basics. If you really need to come up with a demonstration, the secret is to make many segments (like repeatedly adding copies of dba_objects to a table with a small next until you have thousands of segments) and then have duelling processes add more. What happens is that tables in the dictionary contend for latching trying to add additional segments for themselves in addition to the user segments, and everything locks up. LMT's just have to update a header bitmap, much easier.

But really, now it is generally accepted that LMT's are better. In fact, DMT's are considered deprecated since 9.2. http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/compat.htm

Note that simply upgrading DMT's to LMT's just keeps any issues (besides those specific to the dictionary tables) intact, it is often better to create new tablespaces and move objects there, if possible.

Search for LMT on asktom.oracle.com for lots more information. It's also been discussed on this group.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.