Re: Design question : Nullable FK & FK To Unique Key

From: David Portas <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dportas_at_acm.org>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 14:10:54 -0800

krislioe_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi gurus,
>
> Our Invoice may or may not has Orders before it. User can input order
> and produce invoice from it, OR they can just input Invoice without
> order. So we plan to have Nullable FK on Invoice.
>
> The question is :
>
> 1) What is the bad side of Nullable FK ?
>
> 2) FK from Invoice to Orders , not refering to PK , but to the Unique
> Key of the Orders, what is the bad side of this ?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> xtanto

  1. What do you hope to gain from inserting a null for an order that doesn't exist? Nulls are always a compromise and they mean you have to deal with 3-value logic. Avoid them unless you have some specific purpose in mind.
  2. In terms of relational design the choice of primary key makes no difference.
--
David Portas