Re: Proving or Debunking the need for rebuilding

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 14:02:40 -0800

Ben wrote:

> > But in general I think current thinking is "dont rebuild an index just
> > because you have time and cpu ... prove some tangible benefit from
> > rebuilding one and then still think 3 times if you really want to do
> > it".
>

> The main tangible benefit we are going to see is getting space back
> that won't be used again. We operated for 4 years on our ERP system
> without doing any archiving of data. We don't use partitioned tables,
> as I believe it is not supported by our ERP, so we have an archive
> schema that data is moved to. Once we started this archive process we
> have quite a bit of space that is never going to be used by these
> tables and indexes again.
>
> I've got to go through all the links that you all have supplied me, as
> the main thing I want to be able to do, is make sure that performance
> isn't worse after the reorganizing. I wouldn't want to just sit back
> and see if the users start complaining :)

Getting space back for tables and indexes is one of the few good reasons for doing reorg's. See Jonathan's article for a list of ones that "might be valid".

But now you have me confused because you introduced your questions under the name "Proving or Debunking etc".

Oh well I am often confused anyway. Received on Thu Nov 09 2006 - 16:02:40 CST