Re: ASM and 4-way replication?

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:37:10 -0600

On 2006-11-09, Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH schrieb:

>>> It runs automatically, after setup. In 10g it can even switch automatically.
>>
>> 	Please expand on that...
>>
>> 	Based on how TNS is configured and how Oracle
>> treats connectitons to standby databases, I really can't
>> see that working.

> http://www.oracle.com/technology/deploy/availability/htdocs/dataguardoverview.html#WhatsNewIn10gR2
> (http://tinyurl.com/tfspf)

        That still doesn't address the TNS failover part.

        A manual failover is actually remarkably less disruptive than all of the associated client changes it would trigger.

        That summary also doesn't make it obvious that there are extra elements involved in terms of requirements. That complicates things a bit. Not everyone is necessarily going to have all of the dependencies in place.

--
	Sure, I could use iTunes even under Linux. However, I have       |||
better things to do with my time than deal with how iTunes doesn't      / | \

                http://www.usenet.com