Re: Competition for OraPerf

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 10:07:12 -0800

DA Morgan wrote:
> joel garry wrote:
>
> >> Cary Millsap's book is currently the state of the art in regards to how
> >> to approach this area.
> >
> > I agree, and yet, even it has some shortcomings. Sometimes ordering
> > everything by business priority misses technical problems (for example,
> > rating the 15th most important problem as identified by the
> > methodology, when in actuality it should be a topper), and there are
> > perhaps some unspoken assumptions in the methodology.
>
> I think Tom Kyte has addressed the issue of trusting the experts on
> more than a few occasions. Cary's book is definitely one of the most
> valuable resources available. But synapses must be applied to his
> advice in order to best use it.

Joel is incorrect in stating that there are perhaps some unspoken assumptions in the methodology. The methodology is documented clearly, at length, in the first part of the book.

It does depend on properly scoped diagnostic data to succeed. Sometimes getting that data is easier than in other circumstances. Read those sections again if you still think there are unspoken assumptions.

As far as Mr. Morgans valuable contribution, where in the book does Cary ever suggest that you should trust what he wrote? The whole book is founded centered on proof's.

With a comment like that I wonder if he has even read the book. Thought must be applied to succeed in doing anything with any computer based system, there's nothing unique about how that differs related to oracle.

I stated that 'in my opinion' Cary's book is state of the art for "Optimizing Oracle Performance".

If you disagree then provide specifics. Received on Thu Nov 09 2006 - 12:07:12 CST