Proving or Debunking the need for rebuilding

From: Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 10:05:11 -0800

9.2.0.5 EE AIX5L Ok so I do believe everyone when they say to quit rebuilding indexes, except for certain special cases ( like large purges on tables that will never grow again unless the moon is full and the wind blows eastward). I do understand that rebuilds can be harmful, BUT how do I prove one way or the other?

I want to create matrices on the before and after of an index rebuild. How? I don't want to blindly say, "Yes this index needs to be rebuilt" I want to show the performance gain or loss from a rebuild. Surely there is a way to do this. Do you simply anayze ... validate and capture the statistics on the indexes?

Thanks for any ideas and help. Received on Thu Nov 09 2006 - 12:05:11 CST