Re: Survey...Please help and respond!!

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 08:37:55 -0800

reply in-line.

d-licious wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing a project on the database industry and would appreciate if
> you all could answer a few questions for me!
>
> · What do you think of Oracle providing support for Red Hat Linux?

It is about time Linux had a vendor capable of providing enterprise level support. RedHat doesn't, Novell doesn't, and the others can't.

> · What database(s) are you currently using, what operating system
> does it run on, and what database options are you using?

RHEL 4 Update 2, Solaris 2.8, and HP/UX 11.

What do you mean by "what database options?" RAC, Streams, AQ, Partitioning.

> · Over the next 6-12 months, are you planning to buy any database(s)
> or option(s)? If so, which ones?

Buy databases or buy additional CPU licenses or buy a different RDBMS from a different vendor? Your question is unclear. Definitely also looking at TimesTen from Oracle.

> · What do you like most about your current database(s)?

They work and provide the tools for full legal compliance with Sarbanes Oxley, etc. Same answer I would give you about a hammer: It works.

> · Any specific issues you find in the product?

It doesn't include a discount coupon at Starbucks or for a decent scotch.

> · Are you using any open-source products? If yes, which ones and for
> what prime reasons?

RHEL. Because it works.

> · Are you switching any database in favor of an alternative? If so,
> which ones?

No.

> · Are there any general trends you see in the database market?

Ingres is gone.
Sybase is marginalized.
Informix is marginalized.
DB2 is being marginalized and won't be a serious player in 5-7 years.

> I sincerely thank you all for your time and efforts. Cheers!
>
> Regards,
> D-Licious

The above not intended to start a flame war ... just personal opinion.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington