Re: Sounds good in theory, but will it work?

From: <mfullerton_at_gmail.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 07:07:57 -0800

That is scary to me, we never allow a standby to activate itself. If we are in a true DR type situation we want to manually bring them up ourselves. A loss of network connectivity could easily cause a problem to happen, and unless they are using the once unsupported then later supported method for swapping standby's in 8i, you only get to activate the database once and then you have to start rebuilding the original standby, a huge pain.

Honestly, I would suggest contracting out the work to get a standby built in another server for you. You can do it your way, restore the filesystems and then use RMAN to restore the DB (long outage), or build an 8i standby (best option).

I work for a company that does contract work to small/medium IT companies and we have built out 8i standby's for other people. You would be looking at about 10-20 hours labor costs as long as the other server was built out in advanced. This would include design, scripting, documenting, and testing. Shouldn't be a big deal price wise to get a good, correctly built solution. You should be able to find a qualified contractor DBA that still knows how to do an 8i standby pretty easily.

Mike Fullerton