Re: ASM and 4-way replication?

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 07:33:37 -0600

On 2006-11-09, Andreas Piesk <a.piesk_at_gmx.net> wrote:
> JEDIDIAH schrieb:
>
>> > It runs automatically, after setup. In 10g it can even switch automatically.
>>
>> Please expand on that...
>>
>> Based on how TNS is configured and how Oracle
>> treats connectitons to standby databases, I really can't
>> see that working.
>
> why not? what problems do you expect?

        Clients attempt to connect to a TNS name that includes multiple instances in a failover configuration and get hung up when they first try to connect to an instance that's in managed recovery mode.

> i set up such a system with 10g and faststartfailover. a database
> trigger sets a servicename on the primary to get connect-time failover
> working. i can send you details if you want.

        Just post them.

--
	Sophocles wants his cut.                                |||
                                                               / | \

                http://www.usenet.com