Re: Survey...Please help and respond!!

From: hpuxrac <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 9 Nov 2006 04:05:33 -0800

d-licious wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am doing a project on the database industry and would appreciate if
> you all could answer a few questions for me!
>
> · What do you think of Oracle providing support for Red Hat Linux?

It's an interesting move. The idea that companies building business models on open source software can be jumped on by other vendors looks like something that will increasingly be played out in the next several years.

Personally I don't see a lot of companies moving away from Red Hat support.

People within the DBA community know what oracle support is like and how difficult it is to get the support front line staff members that oracle provides out of a mind set of attempting to close services requests as quickly as possible.

> · What database(s) are you currently using, what operating system
> does
> it run on, and what database options are you using?

We run on hpux currently using rac and enterprise edition.

> · Over the next 6-12 months, are you planning to buy any database(s)
> or option(s)? If so, which ones?

Don't see any reason to provide information in this area to you.

> · What do you like most about your current database(s)?

All the standard reasons people consider when selecting oracle.

> · Any specific issues you find in the product?

n/a except as noted above.

> · Are you using any open-source products? If yes, which ones and for
> what prime reasons?
> · Are you switching any database in favor of an alternative? If so,
> which
> ones?
> · Are there any general trends you see in the database market?

The number of people with strong skills in designing databases and doing quality application development inside smaller and mid size companies needs to increase otherwise packaged applications ( such as oracle ebiz etc ) will increasingly dominate the marketplace.

Whether that's good or bad is subjective. Received on Thu Nov 09 2006 - 06:05:33 CST