Re: Shutdown/Restart ORA-01033 and IO Errors

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 8 Nov 2006 22:08:47 -0800

Tam OShanter wrote:
> Hello Friends,
>
> I have inherited a vendor supported database.
> Environment is :
>
> ORACLE V8.1.7.4.1 - Production vsnsta=0
> vsnsql=f vsnxtr=3
> Windows 2000 Version 5.2 Service Pack 1, CPU type 586
>
> The database is constantly giving me an "ORA-01033 ORACLE initialization or
> shutdown in progress" regadless of what I try.
>
> The folks who turned it over to me had been trying to rectify the problem by
> rebooting the machine repeatedly.
>
> I have attempted to shut it down by using oradim with the immediate option.
> No luck.
>
> Upon looking in the alert log I discover the following:
>

> Tue Nov 07 05:00:12 2006
> alter database open
> Tue Nov 07 05:00:13 2006
> Errors in file D:\oradata\pcpw\LOG\pcpwLGWR.TRC:
> ORA-01110: data file 12: 'D:\ORADATA\DBNAME\DBNAME.DBF'
> ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 12 (block # 1)
> ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
> OSD-04008: WriteFile() failure, unable to write to file
> O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.
>
> Wondering what steps I might take to rectify this.
>
> Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.
>

> Tam.

okay - the database is in a mount state. rebooting the server will not produce an open database instance. you have to solve the issue of why the file is not writeable, such as:

Its file #12, not file #1. be glad.

Does the file 'D:\ORADATA\DBNAME\DBNAME.DBF' exist? Check permissions upon the file. Are they the same as other files in that directory?
Check handles on that file - perhaps another process such as a poorly configured backup job - has a handle on the file. Are there multiple databases supported on this server? If so, might a cloning operation in another database gone bad have created such a file with the same file name?

Might someone have removed the OS service and re-created it as owned by "LocalSystem" instead of a service account that was used prior?

So what you have is a database instance in a mount state. Assess your options.

Is the database in archivelog mode?
What backups do you have of this database? (hot, cold, rman, exp) If you have time, you might consider taking a full cold backup of the existing database prior to performing a restore/recovery. Make sure that you don't overwrite good backup sets.

Is the data in the tablespace which file #12 belongs of any value? If it is easily reloaded, one could offline drop the datafile, open the database and drop the tablespace. What you don't know right now is - are there other datafiles in the same boat?

good luck. Oracle Support may be able to help you out in a more timely fashion than usenet.

-bdbafh Received on Thu Nov 09 2006 - 00:08:47 CST