Shutdown/Restart ORA-01033 and IO Errors

From: Tam OShanter <tam_at_oshanter.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 22:48:08 GMT

Hello Friends,

I have inherited a vendor supported database. Environment is :

ORACLE V8.1.7.4.1 - Production vsnsta=0
vsnsql=f vsnxtr=3
Windows 2000 Version 5.2 Service Pack 1, CPU type 586

The database is constantly giving me an "ORA-01033 ORACLE initialization or shutdown in progress" regadless of what I try.

The folks who turned it over to me had been trying to rectify the problem by rebooting the machine repeatedly.

I have attempted to shut it down by using oradim with the immediate option. No luck.

Upon looking in the alert log I discover the following:

Tue Nov 07 05:00:12 2006
alter database open
Tue Nov 07 05:00:13 2006
Errors in file D:\oradata\pcpw\LOG\pcpwLGWR.TRC:

ORA-01110: data file 12: 'D:\ORADATA\DBNAME\DBNAME.DBF'
ORA-01114: IO error writing block to file 12 (block # 1)
ORA-27072: skgfdisp: I/O error
OSD-04008: WriteFile() failure, unable to write to file
O/S-Error: (OS 5) Access is denied.

Wondering what steps I might take to rectify this.

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice.

Tam. Received on Wed Nov 08 2006 - 16:48:08 CST