Re: ASM and 4-way replication?

From: JEDIDIAH <jedi_at_nomad.mishnet>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 14:29:30 -0600

On 2006-11-08, MarcelD <MARCEL.D_at_GMX.CH> wrote:
> hpuxrac schrieb:
>
>> Oracle dataguard could be setup to do this.
> I was thinking about using DataGuard, but I believe it has
> disadvantages compared to a cluster-solution:
> - manual intervention necessary to promote standby
> - performance loss due to online redo log copies in zero data loss mode

        Clustering and failover solve two different problems and two different ways that your entire solution could be vulnerable. The fact that you're running RAC doesn't mean that you can just ignore Dataguard. You could replace Dataguard with some SAN vendor technology but the same basic requirement remains. You need to hedge against failure of your stored storage solution.

        There may even be a requirement to hedge against the loss of your entire primary datacenter.

--
     Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates         |||