Re: ASM and 4-way replication?

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:52:40 +0100

MarcelD schrieb:
> hpuxrac schrieb:
>

>> Oracle dataguard could be setup to do this.

> I was thinking about using DataGuard, but I believe it has
> disadvantages compared to a cluster-solution:
> - manual intervention necessary to promote standby
It runs automatically, after setup. In 10g it can even switch automatically.

> - performance loss due to online redo log copies in zero data loss mode
Have you checked how fast is fast enough? A dedicated cable isn't that expensive. As the others already said, would RAC be an option for you? Basically it secures the CPUs and the data separately. You've got a bunch of CPU/RAM servers all identical and in use at the same time and all accessing the same storage, typically a SAN/NAS thing.

But:
I'm not sure how it's possible to use two identical storage systems but maybe ASM works with RAC and can mirror across two netapp filers or such. I also don't know whether ASM would then be a single point of failure. Nor do I know whether SAN/NAS solutions can do their own replicating and how they would guarantee database level consistency. The interplay between oracle and the storage system administration needs to be much more seamless in case of disaster. Ditto for support, something absolutely essential in such a setup.

If 10min from "something"s wrong" to "we're back up and running" is a serious requirement I'd rather pay for the bandwidth and make dataguard fast enough. One db/storage combination for primary and one db/storage combination for standby. That way, regardless of whether storage or the db fails, you only ever deal with oracle support for the high priority stuff. Btw, do your requirements say anything about how much time you are allowed after failover to get the former primary back up and running? After all, the new primary runs without standby...

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.